Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pink Floyd - are they spinal tap turned up to 11

I saw this blog Old Gits Wife: Sid Barrett and I thought I would write about it. I have to admit I have mixed feelings about Pink Floyd. On the one hand their albums,

Dark side of the moon
Wish you were here
The Wall

are brilliant and what's more because they were older I brought the albums for about 5 quid each. On the other hand all of their other material is not as good, in fact it's pretty rubbish and boring. Anything before Dark side of the moon isn't as polished and sounds very odd, especially the totally overatted stuff with Sid Barrett in. Piper at the gates of dawn sounds like spinal tap, muttering odd lyrics which I do not think are inspired they are just a brain dump from some guy spaced out of his mind.

Anything after the Wall is self indulgent that it only has 1 maybe 2 good songs on an album.

The three albums I like are fantastic, classic albums that will be liked for the next 100 years and more, the other albums I would just give a miss.

This bloke sums it up pretty well

http://timedoor.textdriven.com/index.php?id=19

and he also links to 4 songs from Piper at the gates of dawn so check it out if you fancy hearing Sid Barrett. When i saw the songs on here, I thought they seemed familiar, it turned out that I actually own the album, it's that good I forgot.

here is a link to some Sid Barrett solo material as well

http://www.funtimeok.com/?p=358

I might not have like Sid's work that much but you have to doff your cap, at least he was an interesting chap and he did start up Pink Floyd. If anyone knows please leave a comment stating how pink floyd got their name.

1 comment:

Old Gits Wife said...

The group were originally called the Tea Set, when Sid joined he came up with the name after 2 blues musicians, Floyd Council and Pink Anderson.

Hosks Half Hour Headlines