Saturday, July 29, 2006

Wolf Creek review

Holy cow I just watched Wolf Creek and that is one scary movie. It's a small Aussie outback movie and it brings a real sense of horror.

like all good horrors, you have the calm before the storm as you slowly build up the characters and it this bit is filmed in what I would call a classic aussie style, very light hearted and good honest characters mucking about, laughing and taking the piss out of each other.

What I liked from the first part of the film was the rough almost gonzo style of the film quality, it made you feel like you were there and it added a personal touch to the film. The dialogue and acting is great from the main cast to all the rough edged locals.

Are fool hardy youngsters head off to walk called Wolf Creek. When things go wrong I can't help thinking if they had gone to goat creek or something similar it wouldn't have ended so badly.

I won't ruin it for people who haven't seen it but if anyone who has seen it and want to leave some comments and start a discussion then I would be up for it.

The villian in the piece is fantastic bumbling local and he carried real menace, I was scared for the people.

Imdb only gave it 6.2 out of 10 but because of its extreme nature and the fact not everyone likes horror films I think this is a pretty good showing and gives you a sense of the quality of the film. I don't personally take to much notice about the number rating of sites like this, I usually like to read the comments and then you can see what the viewer/reviewer is like whilst reading their comments.

The fact that this was based on a true story made it even scarier but after you had seen it. I am still buzzing from the film, it was one of the best horror films I have seen and well worth checking out if you like horror and don't mind a bit of gore.

I think what pushes the film above your average horrror is that it wasn't done in America and it didn't have to tick all the American horror boxes (good looking girl, minor teen famous actors).

1 comment:

Old Gits Wife said...

I watched this a couple of months ago. Won't catch me camping in the outback any more, thats for sure! It was sort of based on a true story, the chap (the only one left alive)and who was accused of the murders, denied the accusation and told this story. Whether it was true or not, its upto you.

Hosks Half Hour Headlines