Friday, August 04, 2006

Tideland - Gilliam back

I was reading the guardian and it had an article with Terry Gilliam from Monty Python fame, although I like him more for his films which I love like

Brazil
12 Monkeys
The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen

etc

His latest film looks like some right crazy shit. It has a scene where a child of 12 is looking after her dad and is giving him a shot of heroin, a disturbing image.

The new film is called

Tideland

and he has had a 12 million pound budget and Gilliam should make good use of that to create some twisted landscapes. I didn't like his last film that much the Brothers Grimm but I like the actual story is just that he couldn't really pull it off because it was financed by Hollywood so they insisted on certain actors and certain story lines etc.

Gilliam also is a big fan of Don Quixote. I have read the book and even though it was bloody tough going I did enjoy it and I enjoyed the madness of it, delicious. Because I read the massive book of Don Quixote I brought the film which was pretty boring but my mate saw that I had brought a new film and watched it and was bored out of his mind, ho ho ho how I laughed.

It sounds like the film must be nearly finished or quite a bit done so this will be something to look forward to. I would link to the guardian for you but I don't know if I can be bothered. Oh I've got myself interested now

Here is the rough plot from the guardian film website

after her mother dies from a heroin overdose, Jeliza-Rose is taken from the big city to a rural farmhouse by her father. As she tries to settle into a new life in a house her father had purchased for his now-deceased mother, Jeliza-Rose\'s attempts to deal with what\'s happened result in increasingly odd behavior, as she begins to communicate mainly with her bodiless Barbie doll heads and Dell, a neighborhood woman who always wears a beekeeper\'s veil.
here is the imdb link, it has a really good review here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410764/

I have just brought the book because it sounds good, so there

No comments:

Hosks Half Hour Headlines