Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Comedy Review – Angelo’s

Initially when I saw channel 5 had a home grown comedy I was a bit skeptical and after watching one episode of Angelo's my fears were realised and the show was as I expected.

Angelo's is set in a greasy spoon in London and the comedy is based around the owner Angelo and his slightly chavish daughter.

The weaknesses of the show are really centered on the one dimension characters and a poor script. It feels like this is the first script the writer has written because it is full of comedy clichés. An example is there are two policemen (male and female) who are a couple. The female officer says she is late on her period by a week and then spends the rest of the episode doing the “I’m sure I’m pregnant and will refuse to believe I’m not” routine which culminates in her taking a pregnancy test and not coming out of the toilet in case it turns positive. There also is a character who is stalking a man who doesn't like her who she then scares into getting run over. The daughter of the greasy spoon has a mate who is "well thick" and tries to pull the daughters (and her best friend) boyfriend by giving him a blowjob and then telling the her, this leads to the daughter hating him and then wanting him back later. I feel obliged to mention the street performer who was painted gold and who is trying to impress the daughter who isn’t interested. He did contribute one funny thing when he called the daughters boyfriend a batty boy and then said “don’t get angry I don’t even know what it means”

It’s all very standard stuff that not only has been done before but done a lot better. I can't really remember not laughing at comedy so much for a long time, as some points it felt like a documentary because of the lack of jokes.

The one amusing character was Angelo and his main customer who is a business man who spends all day in the greasy spoon (who knows why). Angelo puts out a suggestions box to see if "people don't like being served to quickly or perhaps the sandwiches have too much filling". This raised a smile but as I'm sure you can guess he is dismayed when people only put complaints in the suggestions box until the end of the episode where the business man picks one out which says how good the place is, ooh no one saw that coming as soon as the suggestion box appeared on screen.

Due to the poor script and the boring characters I don't really have much hope for this comedy to improve in the future, I doubt you have bothered to watch this so far and after the one episode I saw I think you made a wise choice.



http://hoskshalfhour.blogspot.com/

Funny comedy podcast - Hosks Half Hour

if you like comedy try listening to my comedy podcast, it has stand up, funny sketches, amusing news and lots more

http://hoskshalfhour.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Michael Critic said...

I disagree with this review almost in its entirety. The reviewer didn't "get" it. What he sees as cliched he should have seen as irony. Steve Brody (Angelo)was brilliant and Sharon Horgan has a wonderful comic timing. I remember Brody from several episodes of the office and what was remarkable here was his mastery of an entirely different comic character. Don't miss this show.

Hosks Half Hour Headlines